This cereal makes for a cheery, warm morning. The sour lemon segments are tempered by the sweet maple syrup. At the market, look for ripe citrus--it will be bright, have tight skin, and feel heavy for its size. If you feel like being an overachiever, or you can’t find cream of rice cereal at your local grocery, use a coffee grinder or blender to grind 1 cup of rice (try white or brown) to a fine rice meal and use that instead. (Prop styling by Martha Bernabe)
- 1⁄2cup real maple syrup
- 1⁄2teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1cup cream of rice cereal
- 1⁄2cup crème fraîche or sour cream
- Finely zest the lemon on a grater, combine zest and maple syrup in a small saucepan, and heat gently over low heat until hot. Use a sharp paring knife, cut the pith and skin off the lemon, discard. Work over a bowl and cut the segments of flesh, let them drop in the bowl, which will fill with juice as you work. Remove any seeds. Cut the segments in small chunks. Add segments and juice to the maple syrup, keep syrup warm over very low heat. 2
- In a medium pot, bring the salt and 4 cups water to a simmer over medium high heat. Gradually whisk in the cream of rice, whisking continually for 1 minute. Remove from heat and cover. Let pot stand for 1 minute. 3
- Whisk the cereal once more, divide among 4 bowls. Dollop a tablespoon of creme fraiche into each. Top each bowl with syrup and lemon segments.