This time of year in the Northeast, we tend to act like cats--searching out the warmest spot in the house to spend the afternoon. Our favorite winter place is a kitchen with a toasty oven. This recipe keeps the oven running and gives you a warm, melty, caramelized side dish. The Bagna Cauda Dressing cuts through the soft cauliflower with vinegar and anchovy, giving it an earthy bite. For a super easy weeknight meal, make twice as much dressing and toss with cauliflower and cooked gluten-free pasta. Serve hot as a main dish or cold as a pasta salad.
Serves 6-8 as a side dish
Slow Roasted Cauliflower
- 1head cauliflower, cut in small florets
- 5tablespoons olive oil
- 6cloves garlic, unpeeled
- 2tablespoons capers
- 2sprigs rosemary
- 3sprigs thyme
- 1⁄2teaspoon sea salt
- 3strips of lemon zest, pulled with a vegetable peeler
- Heat the oven to 375 degrees. Toss all the ingredients together in a large bowl, until cauliflower is very well coated. Spread the mixture on a sheet pan in a single layer. Roast for 1 hour, until the cauliflower is soft and golden. 2
- Slip the garlic out of its’ skin. Remove the zest and herb sprigs, discard. Toss the cauliflower and garlic thoroughly with Bagna Cauda dressing, serve warm or at room temperature.
Bagna Cauda Dressing
- 6anchovy fillets in oil, drained
- 1⁄2teaspoon finely grated lemon zest
- 1teaspoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1⁄2clove garlic
- 1teaspoon sherry vinegar
- 1⁄4teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 5tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1⁄2cup loosely packed fresh parsley leaves
- Place all ingredients in a food processor. Process until mixture is uniform and thick, scraping down sides of the food processor a few times as you go.