The combination of brown butter and miso in this recipe provides a wow-ing umami flavor--rich and toasty. We used baby spinach and arugula here, but we’ve tried it with roughly chopped chard and loved it just as much. This is a quick weeknight meal that is easily multiplied when unexpected dinner guests show up.
- 7ounces spinach and arugula, mixed
- 6ounces dry gluten-free rigatoni, penne, or ziti pasta
- 5tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2tablespoons white miso paste
- 2large garlic cloves, roughly chopped
- freshly ground black pepper
- Cook the pasta in salted water until al dente (a couple of minutes shy of the boiling time that’s given on the pasta package). Drain, reserving 2⁄3 cup of the cooking water, set aside. 2
- In a large sauté pan, sauté butter over medium-low heat, until it starts to bubble and foam. Add garlic, sauté 2 minutes until it and the butter just start to turn golden, whisk in miso paste until smooth. Drizzle in the reserved pasta water, whisking to fully incorporate. Add greens and cook 2 minutes, until they just begin to wilt, add the pasta, toss to coat with the pan sauce, about 2 minutes more. Squeeze in lemon, toss again. Serve immediately, drizzle with remaining sauce. Add ground pepper, to taste.