Almond and cherry trees are related by genus and we’d argue that cherries and the hot sun are kissing cousins. The juicy flavor of the sorbet nestled in the center of each slice will cut through the summer heat. The almond layer is crunchy and the hard shell of chocolate is meant to shatter just as your spoon makes contact. If you can’t find cherry sorbet, raspberry or strawberry will do nicely. For best results, cut through the finished cake with a large, hot knife.
- 1⁄2gallon vanilla ice cream
- 1pint cherry ice cream or sorbet
- 2cups sliced almonds (about 6 ounces)
- 1⁄4cup cane sugar (1.75 ounces)
- 1⁄8teaspoon pure almond extract (optional)
- 3ounces finely chopped bittersweet chocolate
- 2ounces coconut oil
- 12ounces cherries, pitted
- Line a 5x12-inch loaf pan with wax paper or plastic wrap, letting it extend over each side by at least 4 inches. Fill the loaf pan with half of the vanilla ice cream, then smooth and flatten with the back of a spoon to create a flat surface. Nestle scoops of cherry ice cream in a line down the center of the bed of vanilla ice cream. Top with the remaining vanilla ice cream, then smooth and flatten with the back of a spoon to create a flat surface. Cover the ice cream with the excess plastic wrap, chill until solid, about 3 hours. 2
- Meanwhile, heat oven to 300 degrees. Using the loaf pan as a guide, draw a 5x12-inch rectangle on a piece of parchment paper. Turn the paper face down on a sheet pan, so the ink or pencil does not touch the food. In a bowl, combine the almonds, cane sugar, and extract with 2 tablespoons of water. Toss very thoroughly to coat. Spread the mixture on the prepared sheet pan inside the rectangle. Bake for 25-30 minutes until deep golden around the edges. Let cool for about 10 minutes, or until just warm. Loosen the rectangle from the paper with a metal spatula and let cool completely. Place on a serving plate. Don’t worry if it breaks a little, you can use the ice cream like glue when you assemble the cake. 3
- Once the almond plank is cool, remove the loaf pan from the freezer, open the plastic around the ice cream. Hold a hot towel on the outside of the pan for 30 seconds and invert onto almond plank. Remove the paper, return the cake on its serving plate to the freezer. 4
- Combine the chocolate and coconut oil in a bowl set over barely simmering water. Stir until melted, let cool 10 minutes at room temperature. Pour over ice cream, letting it drip down the sides. Top with cherries. Return ice cream cake to the freezer until set, 20 minutes. Cake will keep for up to 2 weeks in the freezer, wrapped tightly in plastic wrap.