Crisp cucumbers are flooding the markets. They have a mild flavor and when freshly picked, this flavor is aromatic and soothing. We just love them! There are all different types of cucumber to play with right now. Some, like the Indian Poona Kheera, can even be sautéed. Our salad recipe starts out briny, vinegary, and bracing but is mellowed by the feta and buttery, rich, Marcona almonds. We've also included mint to brighten things up and oregano for some complexity. This is a great salad for a picnic or served with grilled steak or fish. You can make it up to one day in advance.
- 1⁄4cup apple cider vinegar
- 3⁄4teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1⁄2small onion or 1 large shallot, finely chopped
- 4cups sliced cucumbers (about 2 cukes or 1.25 pounds)
- 2⁄3cup crumbled feta (4 ounces)
- 1⁄2cup Marcona almonds
- 2tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1⁄4teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1⁄2cup mint leaves, roughly torn
- 2teaspoons finely chopped oregano
- In a small saucepan, heat the vinegar and salt until steamy and hot. Add onion and immediately remove from heat. Let steep and cool for at least 15 minutes. Toss vinegar mixture and remaining ingredients together in a bowl. Will keep for up to one day.