An egg can create many different textures depending on how it’s combined into a dish. For instance, it can be fluffed into a lofty meringue or basted onto a pastry to add an extra golden crunch. In this recipe, eggs are whisked into hot broth to create a creamy and luxurious spring soup. Remember, the better your chicken broth and meat, the better your soup will be. If you’d like to make your own from scratch, follow our recipe for Chicken Soup with Rice through the second step--the results will be well worth the effort!
- 3cups high-quality chicken broth
- 1cup (4.5 ounces) cooked white rice
- 1cup (4 ounces) cooked chicken breast, shredded into bite-sized pieces
- 2large eggs
- 1⁄4cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1ounce grated parmesan cheese
- 1⁄2cup chopped fresh dill
- 1⁄4cup finely chopped fresh parsley
- In a medium-sized pot, heat the chicken broth along with the rice and chicken over medium heat until the broth reaches a simmer, reduce heat to low. In a medium-sized bowl, whisk together the lemon juice and egg until very well beaten and uniform, set aside. 2
- Use a ladle to spoon clear broth from the top of the pot to the egg mixture. Slowly drizzle in the hot liquid while you whisk constantly. Add enough broth to double the amount of liquid in the bowl. Whisk in the cheese. Remove the pot from the heat. Pour the egg mixture back into the pot of soup, stirring constantly. Stir in the herbs, serve immediately.
- Note: This soup does not reheat well. If you’d like to make this in advance, the soup can be made ahead and the egg mixture stirred in just before serving.